Friday 2 January 2015

New Year, Resolutions and Updates!

I can't believe how fast 2014 flew by. It's been quite the eventful year! The last time I blogged was for my Otakuthon con report... since then, I moved to a different city for school and I've been studying full-time in an art conservation program.






The program is quite general so we're covering a broad range of materials. This semester's focus was on inorganics, so one of the first projects we had to complete was to re-assemble a terracotta pot and a ceramic plate. Since they were exercises and not real artefacts, we had to purchase them and then break them!

Mended plate, drying in the sandbox. One piece is deliberately left out.

After the loss had been filled with plaster, time for impainting!
I painstakingly had to match the base colour and replicate the design.

Completed plate! It's not perfect, but it does the job.

The second half of the semester was spent on metals. We had real artefacts this time and it was mostly practice on documentation, condition reporting and cleaning. I chose a wheelbarrow toy because it was so cute and it had the prettiest corrosion!

Technical drawing helped to map out the toy's condition.

Before and after, I was a little sad to see the corrosion go!
I'm also working on a WWI button belt. Since it's a large piece with lots of complications, I didn't finish it this semester.  Half of my other classes are devoted to museum management, but those are pretty boring to blog about, lol.

The semester kept me quite busy that I didn't even have time to get a haircut! You know how I cosplayed Rukia in the summer? I had her short hairstyle, but it grew out to look like her old hairstyle!

Rukia old hair!
Now that I'm home in montreal for the holidays, I did get my hair cut. It's not Rukia-looking anymore, but maybe when Anime North comes along, I'll cut it like her if I decide to bust out the cosplay again.


Resolutions

1. Stay organised. I used to be quite good at it, but I really need to step up my game. This past semester has been a constant battle against chaos/mess.

2. Post/update more. I'd like to revive my DA and tumblr accounts.

3. Stock up my etsy store... or rather, make a ton of Haikyuu merch because we need more volleyball nerds in our lives!

I think those are the 3 main goals I'd like to focus on. I'd also love to draw more and to finish my fics, but this year is probably going to be another busy one that I probably won't have time.  In terms of the future of pheleon, I'm really certain that I want to keep it a hobby.  When I graduated from university, I had considered making it pro...but within a year, I quickly realised that it was just not for me.  Therefore, I'm not making any resolutions to push my business forward. On the flip side, I'd like to concentrate on art conservation because as cheesy as it may sounds, I found my calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment